Friday, September 28, 2007

9/27 - 9/28

Thursday, September 27, 2007

First day on the job at Habitat for Humanity. It was fun even though I spent the first few hours cleaning up the site to get ready for the plumbing, electrical and framing inspection tomorrow. The second half of the day I spent on the roof with another woman who showed my how to lay out the shingles. We spent about 3.5 hours on the roof and made pretty good progress. That night, I found Jay’s buddy and we went out for Mexican food. That was great too!

Friday, September 28, 2007

Day Two at the job site was going to be a ‘construction’ day. As it turned out it was more physically demanding than roofing day! I was either in the crawl space under the house building stairs or up on a ladder framing boxes for house fans. Lots of bicep work! I learned a lot though and my confidence is building quite a bit. The guys and gals are very helpful and great at showing me what I need to do, then they leave me alone to finish the task I’m on. The hardest part of the day was hammering in two 18” spikes to secure the crawl space ladder to the dirt floor. I broke a sweat on that task! Since there are going to be 15 volunteers tomorrow and probably not enough work for everyone, I chose to head back to Arvada for a few days and hang out with Jay and his roommates. Back at his house I showered, got some food and got caught up on e-mail. I’ve sent an e-mail to the folks at Habitat for Humanity regarding some work in New Zealand during November – January. We’ll see if there is anything available.

1 comment:

Jim Hammond said...

You look good on that motorcycle.
You climbed the Grand Canyon?
Jesus girl! Hey you can't do that you are only a girl, love ya Jim